Contact: Mrs D Pilling – Head of Art
Course Structure & Overview
Exam Board: AQA
Component 1: Portfolio (8201/C) 60%
Component 2: Externally set assignment (8201/X) 40%
Art and Design is a vibrant and dynamic subject to study. Students develop knowledge and understanding during the course through a variety of learning experiences and approaches, including working from a source. Key art and design skills are demonstrated through the development, refinement, recording, realisation and presentation of ideas through a portfolio and by responding to an externally set assignment.
The GCSE is made up of two components.
Component 1: Portfolio – 60% of GCSE
Students are required to submit a portfolio that comprises a sustained project evidencing the journey from initial engagement to the realisation of intentions and a selection of further work which represents their course of study.
Component 2: Externally set assignment – 40% of GCSE
Students respond to their chosen starting point from an externally set assignment paper relating to a chosen title. A preparatory period is given followed by 10 hours of supervised time.
Art and Design involves:
• Being creative and producing artwork which reflects personal interests in Art and Design.
• Exploring and creating work associated with two areas of study from either; Fine art, Graphic communication, Textile design, Photography and Three- dimensional design.
• Understanding sources inspire the development of ideas.
• Recording ideas and observations visually through drawing, photography and written annotation.
• Experimenting with media, materials, techniques and processes.
• Applying an understanding of relevant practices in the creative and cultural industries to artwork.
GCSE Art and Design provides a strong foundation for further study at AS and A-level as well as vocational pathways including BTEC Art and apprenticeships.
Future careers include graphic designer, fashion designer, creative director, illustrator, product designer, teacher, animator, artist, video editor, retail buyer and set designer.