VISION AND OBJECTIVES
We believe Virtue theory reflecting the teachings of the Catholic Church provides a systematic way of shaping and developing character. Our Careers program is therefore, underpinned by and reflects the importance we attach to Virtues and character education. It also incorporates the Gatsby Benchmarks , which are interwoven throughout the programme. Our careers’ provision, along with our policy, complies with the Academy’s legal obligations under Section 42B of the Education Act 1997.
The Gatsby Benchmarks:
Together, they underpin our careers’ provision through PSHEE, timetabled lessons, dedicated careers’ advisor appointments and specific interactions with external employers and educational stakeholders. The Gatsby Benchmark framework aims to ensure that all students in Years 7-11 are entitled to:
- To find out about technical education qualifications and apprenticeships opportunities, as part of a careers programme which provides information on the full range of education and training options available at each transition point.
- To hear from a range of local providers about the opportunities they offer, including technical education and apprenticeships – through options evenings, assemblies, group discussions and taster events.
- To understand how to make applications for the full range of academic and technical courses.
We appreciate certain groups or individual students may need extra help and/or guidance and these groups will be targeted and given differentiated CIAG as appropriate.
Groups may include but are not limited to: most able; disadvantaged; pupil premium; those in danger of becoming NEET; EAL.
Activities targeted at specific groups take place throughout the year, such as:
- Apprenticeship talk
- College/training providers open days, visits and assemblies
- Visiting speakers
- Employer visits
- Work experience
- Career fairs
- Mock interviews
Unifrog is the universal destinations platform and is designed to support learners in making the most informed decisions about their futures and has a range of tools that are suitable for all year groups. Each student has their own account where they can explore all the career and next step options available to them and find information on everything from managing their workload to writing a winning CV. Students have access to a wide variety of video and written content, and interactive quizzes and tests.
Click on image to go to sign in page.
We evaluate the effectiveness and impact of our Careers programme by measuring our success against:
- The 8 Gatsby Benchmarks
- CDI Career Development Framework
- Internal audits
- Our NEET (Not in Employment, Education or Training) figures
- Student surveys and feedback forms
- Teacher feedback
- Parent/Carer feedback
- Employer feedback
Our current progress towards the Gatsby Benchmarks is regularly reviewed via the Compass+ Careers Benchmark Tool. Click here for latest review.
Local Information and Support
- Tees Valley Careers
- Tees Valley Learning Provider Network
- High Tide Foundation | Tees Valley Career Information, Insights and Work Experience
- Labour Market information (LMI)
Exploring Options and Pathways
Help and Ideas
- BBC Bitesize Careers
- Speakers for Schools Virtual Work Experience
- Springpod Virtual Work Experience
Parents, Carers and Guardians